Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
Come on in

Wednesday 19 January 2011

The Start of a journey


In October 2007 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. As well as the bad news I lost the job I loved because I was only freelance and couldn't be where they needed me whilst in hospital and recovering. 
It was a scarey time and I had to hold it all together for the family, I had a lumpectomy but because the cancer had spread into and through my Lymph glands I had them removed too.I had to have 7 months of Chemotherapy when my hair fell out and I hated my wig so used to bare the bald look, and then 5 weeks of radiotherapy.
 I tried to keep a positive attitude and on the days when I wasn't laid up after chemo or undergoing the  radiotherapy which made me so unbelievably tired and weak I worked harder than ever  at a temporary job up and down the country to keep myself occupied and my mind off the nausea and side effects. By september 2008 I was sporting a very short , no.2 haircut Smile
Unfortunately for me the worst was yet to come in the form of Tamoxifen , the cancer fighting drug I needed to take for 5 years. It was soon apparent that I was intolerant to the generic form , having daily migraines, they discovered my side effects were less on a brand called Nolvadex D so I have been taking that for a year. It isn't ideal having uncomfortable and emotional side effects and the doctors are reluctant to prescribe it being more expensive than the generic brands.
And when I thought It was bad enough... more bad news... the suppliers in Britain no longer bring Nolvadex D into the country. My choices are now have the generic form and daily migraines ( no quality of life there) or do without ( and take my chances on the return of cancer ). It was a difficult choice but i have decided to do without, and instead fight the threat of cancer by changing my diet. Already a vegaquarian !! ( I don't eat meat and eat very little fish) I have discovered books on the subject that recommend that you follow a vegan diet to prevent the return of cancer.
As I love cheese and milk this will be incredibly hard to follow but I'm going to give it a try.........
I will keep you posted on my progress or lack of will power...
My advice to all of you guys and girls is keep checking regularly for lumps and if you think you have found one get yourself to the doctors.
I found mine in 2005, I had all the checks and was told it was benign. I let it grow for 2 years !!! Embarassed
They had missed the cancer on the 2005 mammogram and got the diagnosis wrong. In hind sight I should have gone back and queried it but I let it get worse because I trusted the hospital..  
If you are worried , talk to the GP.

Bye for now

x

No comments:

Post a Comment