Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog
Come on in

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Bruges

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain beating on our window and flat roof and my immediate thought was that I would have to abandon all ideas of gardening today and my second thought was, 'hope it doesn't rain for the full 4 days in Bruge next month.'


I sold most of my hobby craft stuff on ebay last year and used the money to buy my hubby a Christmas, Anniversary and Birthday pressie of 4 days in Bruge and 5 days in Rome. :)
We fly out to Brussels then on to Bruge a month today and we can't wait. It is somewhere we have wanted to visit for years and just never got around to organising, so I am hoping it lives up to expectations and is worth the selling of my precious horde of yarn, fabric and threads etc.
I also bought him a book on walking tours of Bruge so we can take in as much as possible in the short time we are there. Hence my thought on the weather. I don't want it to rain the whole time we are there and March is so unpredictable. I suppose I could have picked a better month to go but I felt that it might cheer hubby up , lift his spirits, as it will be the first Anniversary of his youngest brother's death in March and it is a big milestone to pass for him, coupled with not being very happy in his job  I imagine he will need a big lift around then.
Bruges is full of canals and as our favourite cities, Amsterdam and Venice are also full of canals Bruges seemed the ideal place to 'chill'.

We go to Rome in May. I blew the rest of my ebay money on a really nice hotel and a longer stay in this capital and hopefully it may be a little warmer by then to walk around the many old and arty sights.

I am still selling the rest of my craft on ebay, originally towards the next writing OU course I had registered on. But I may not waste my money on that now. I wasn't too impressed with the short course I have just finished, except that through the forum I met some really nice and interesting people ( some of whom I hope to remain in touch with) . I go to day workshops locally once a month and the class situation there is much more helpful that the whole of the short OU course was. I have given up any ideas of completing my degree, it is working out too expensive plus if I am not working anymore I don't need one. Maybe if I make millions through my writing Ha ha ha ha I may finish it just to say I have a degree........then again if I make millions with my writing,  who cares about having a degree !! Ha ha ha....... I wish :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brenda - how lovely. My husband and I, no I'll rephrase that: me and the other half went to Bruges, in November, for a long weekend in 2002. I was going to say two or three years ago but thought I should look it up and cannot believe it was so long ago. It was cold and it did rain, but it was fascinating. Lots of little streets to explore. You'll love it. At that time there was a ferry running from Rosyth so we went by boat. Enjoy Rome too, that's another place I would love to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I see the word "Bruges" I think of the film "In Bruges" starring Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes. It's very good.

    I hope you have a great time. It sounds like it will indeed perk your OH up. I have never been on an actual holiday before so am seriously thinking about saving up to take the family to Butlins. The cost of actually staying there is affordable (just) but getting a train down to Skegness for the four of us is about double the amount(!)

    Hope you have a great holiday when it comes!

    ReplyDelete